04 Aug Blueberry Breakfast Rice Bowl
Try this delicious blueberry rice bowl for breakfast! Yields 3 cups.
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1½ cups (360 ml) milk or unsweetened almond, soy or rice milk, divided
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (165 g) brown rice or quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chia seeds, whole
- 5 (10 ml) cardamom pods, whole
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) maple syrup
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups (225 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flax seed, ground
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsweetened coconut flakes
1. In a medium pot, bring water, 1 cup of the milk and salt to a boil. Add the rice, chia seeds and cardamom pods. Bring to a boil, stir, then simmer, covered on a medium low heat for 40 minutes until cooked (or according to the manufacturer’s instructions)
2. Remove the cardamom pods.
3. Add the remaining ½ cup of milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and 1 cup of the blueberries, heat and stir until warmed.
4. Serve warm topped with the remaining blueberries, flax, hemp hearts, walnuts and coconut.
Source: BC Blueberries (used with permission)